Forth Valley Sensory Centre
Your personal data – what is it?
Who are we?
We are Forth Valley Sensory Centre, charity which aims to help people with sensory loss live as independently as possible. We provide support for people with sight or hearing loss with our groups and classes and through our various charity and statutory partners.
We also assist their friends, carers and families and have public facilities like our Café and Sensory Garden.
Forth Valley Sensory Centre is registered in Scotland as a company limited by guarantee Company Number: SC247416. Charity Recognition Number: SC034267
How do we process your personal data?
Forth Valley Sensory Centre complies with its obligations under [the GDPR] by keeping personal data up to date;
- by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data;
- by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data. We use your personal data for the following purposes: –
- To administer groups and classes;
- To manage our employees and volunteers;
- To maintain our own accounts and records.
- To operate the Forth Valley Sensory Centre website and deliver the services that individuals have requested, for example our newsletter.
- To inform individuals of news, events, activities or services running at Forth Valley Sensory Centre.
- To process gift aid applications and donations.
- To contact individuals via surveys to conduct research about their opinions of current services or of potential new services that may be offered.
Collecting data on our website
We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from our website. In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
Shortened Links in Social Media
This website and its owners through their social media platform accounts may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media platforms shorten lengthy urls [web addresses] (this is an example: http://bit.ly/2aoLGQU).
Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened urls published on social media platforms by this website and its owners. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine urls are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
Under 16-year olds
If you are 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before you give us any personal information about yourself.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Processing is carried out by a not-for-profit body and the processing relates only to members or former members (or those who have regular contact with it in connection with those purposes); and there is no disclosure to a third party without consent.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will be shared only with trustees and employees.
We will only share your data with third parties outside of the organisation with your consent.
If you sign up for regular newsletters
By signing up for regular updates we will store your information in our membership database. This information will be kept until you ask us to remove it.
This information is only accessible to Forth Valley Sensory Centre staff and we won’t share it with any third-party unless stated below.
We may use your information to compile anonymous statistics about our network, such as the number of members or the make-up of the membership.
We use a third-party email marketing service called Mailchimp. This service logs which emails you open, which links you click and other information sent by your email client. We use this information in aggregate to improve the way we work.
Submitting information for a survey
We may occasionally ask you to complete a survey or questionnaire. We will use this information in aggregate to make improve what we do or as part of a specific piece of work.
You do not need to submit any personal information to take part in our surveys, however we may ask you to include contact information in case we want to ask for more information about your survey response.
We may also ask for demographic information which could include sensitive personal information, which we will treat with greater care. This means:
- This information will not be used in conjunction with your survey response.
- We will only use this information in aggregate and anonymously to understand our audiences.
- We will not share this information with Forth Valley Sensory Centre staff members not directly involved in the survey.
- This information will be deleted as soon as possible, once it has been analysed and aggregated.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary and we only retain your data for the following purposes and use the following criteria to determine how long to retain your personal data;
- For the continuing length of your membership
- Until such time you notify us and cancel your membership, all personal data will be destroyed
- Until such time we are notified of death, all personal data is destroyed
- If membership is revoked, all personal data is destroyed
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption [under the GDPR], you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Forth Valley Sensory Centre holds about you;
- The right to request that the Forth Valley Sensory Centre corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Forth Valley Sensory Centre to retain such data;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office. https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance, contact us at:
Forth Valley Sensory Centre
Tel: 01324 590 888
Text: 07341560709 (Text Only)
BSL users can contact us via contactSCOTLAND-BSL, the on-line British Sign Language interpreting service.
Find out more on the contactSCOTLAND website.
This statement adapted by Forth Valley Sensory Centre May 2018 from Disability Equality Scotland.